Sunday, June 1, 2014

A Friendship Like No Other

My whole life i’ve prayed for a true friend. One that could endure through any storm and remain after any hurricane. Growing up my deepest desire was to have someone beside me to face each new day. A friend that I wouldn’t have to worry about being blown away by any slight wind or breeze. When i was younger I found that people were much like seasons. Each one had their ups and downs. Winter glistened with the beauty of snow and brought delightful cheer among all, but as the days went by it started to melt and wither away. Spring bloomed with exquisite colors and excitement for life, but then the flowers began to wilt and the bright colors began to dull. Summer promised new memories and thrilling adventures, but ended with reality and responsibility. Fall brought warmth through the rich colors changing in the leaves of the trees, but even then the leaves fell to the ground and the trees became bare. No matter how much beauty,love, and enjoyment I would receive from each friendship I always found myself without them at the end of a season. I was always thankful for the time I had with each person, but I also craved something more dependable and i was curious if it even existed.
Abby and I on an adventure.
Years later my life took a turn to Texas and through that God brought me an unexpected friendship. As soon as i met her I knew without a doubt that our friendship would grow through many seasons and last throughout the years. Her appearance was angelic and charming, but her heart even more so. It shown so profoundly through her bright blue eyes and cheerful smile. Her manner was endearing and inviting. You couldn't walk away from her and not feel enlightened or touched. In one moment she could build you up in ways you’ve always been torn down. She brought immense beauty to people’s lives like a field full of bright and blooming flowers. From looking at her you might think she was perfect, but she struggled deep within in her just like the rest of us. She was selfless and honorable and i look up to her in so many ways. Her name is Abby.
God brought her into my life as a gift. But not a one time gift, because each day she has blessed my life more and more. It never mattered what we were doing because we always enjoyed each other’s presence. It was never about pleasing each other or creating fake memories that would last a short time. This was a real genuine friendship; the one i had prayed so long for. She knew my heart and every little insignificant detail there was to know about me. When storms came and lightning striked she was steady and constant like the sun that rises each morning while the mast to my sail boat shook fiercely back and forth. Each day she remained and each day i realized more and more that God had really answered my prayers. She brought color and joy to my life just like the beginning of each season, but she remained even when all the colors faded and disappeared.
I didn't write this to tell you that most friendships wont last, but instead to tell a story about the lifelong impact one special person has on my life and the way God answered my prayers. Thank you Abby for being YOU. Thanks for always believing in me even when i didn't believe in myself. Thanks for taking the time to know every detail and flaw about me and then loving me for it. Thanks for laughing with me and for all the memories we have made. Thanks for being real and true to me. Thanks for absolutely everything. You found me when I was wilting and you helped me bloom.


No comments:

Post a Comment